Greetings! This is the highly optimistic time of year – lots of major improvements that are getting the garden in great shape for the coming seasons! Here is where things are at:
- Green Season crops are on track – this includes radishes, carrots and new beets; should even have some snap peas to go with the normal greens.
- Main season seed starts have already begun. Every four weeks hereon out there are more starts; the big new item is that there are a large collection of flowers coming this year.
- Some of the farm practices will broaden selections, which means that it is important that you participate in a preferences poll. The picking process uses a preference list to match what you want with what is available. Even now, in the limited winter season the boxes are full before all the options have been picked.
- It would be ideal to reply to the email with your preferences and your size of box – and, if you like greens, your decision about being in the green season (starting on Wednesday, 3/31!).
- If you are interested in the green season, it is aimed pretty directly towards Salad lovers. Salads are a standard big part of the delivery; if you don’t like salads or greens… well, you may find the CSA a poor match.
Poll Instructions: There are types and varieties and your preferences. In general, if there is something you really love, give it a plus, or comment to that effect. If there is something you can’t stand (Turnips and Cauliflower have had that response) give it a minus, or comment. Otherwise, leaving it blank or noting ‘farmer’s choice’ is a good thing. The poll is pretty broad… there are almost 15 varieties of lettuce… And Asparagus should rock this year; it ended up in greens almost by default!
|Brassicas||Cauliflower, Broccoli, Kale, Pac Choi, Cabbage|
|Crunchies||Beets (red, white, orange), Carrots, Radishes, Cucumbers, Turnips,|
|Herbs||Basil, Cilantro, Fennel, Oregano, Chives, Parsley, Dill, Horseradish, Arugula, Land Cress|
|Greens||Lettuce (green, red), Mustard, Chard (red, white), Spinach, Asparagus|
|Melons||Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Honeydew|
|Onions||Walla Walla, Red, Yellow bulb, Green, Leeks|
|Summer Squash||Hook Neck, Zucchini, Patty Pan…|
|Winter Squash||Candy Roaster, Cha-Cha, Sweet Meat, Turk’s Turban|
|Potatoes||Baby Red, Purple, Yukon Gold, White|
|Sweet Potatoes||Beauregard (orange), Kotobuki (purple)|
|Fruits||Strawberries, Raspberries, Boysenberries, Grapes, Apples, Peaches, Figs|
|Starchs||Corn, Green Beans,|
And – Please let us know if you are in for all year, just green season, just main season… There is a 5% discount for all three season signup paid in full; also, if you need to be gone for 4-6 weeks during the main season and the dates can be identified ahead, a schedule can be worked out. If you don’t or can’t pay for the full season, whatever works for you works for the farm.
Sadly, these email’s don’t always get answered. Feel free to invite other to join the CSA – it is always a nervous time trying to guess how many members will be in each season. The cows and horses like it when there are fewer members – they get to recycle things!