This is exciting – lots and lots of Tomatoes turning ripe; and a few hook neck summer squash with size! This does bring up a question for you to reply (or not): how many xxx do you want in your box?
xxx – could be:
- Cherry Tomatoes – default is a pint till.
- Slicer Tomatoes – 1 for Personal share, 2 for full share
- 1-3″ Beets – 2 for personal share, 3-4 for full share
- There are five types of beet at that size now – Avalanche (white), Subeto (purple), Bohan (red), Chiogga (ringed), and our orange beet. So, farmer’s choice is ‘pick the biggest and put different ones in the box.’ If there is a preference, such as “NO beets shall ever cross my lips” then a) you put that on your poll or b) you tried it and it isn’t floating your boat.
- So – state your preferences.
- Sometimes members want a ‘mess of’ some produce. When that happens there is some flexibility to switch off.
- Raspberries, Boysenberries, Figs: Portioned out as they come ripe and the birds don’t break down the netting (there were three birds inside the netting tonight. They feasted and then were trapped and needed help escaping). The default when all these are ripe at once is a half pint of farmer’s choice for personal share, a full pint for full share, unless there is a huge crop in which case it is proportionate.
- Potatoes – right now there are a mix of colors in boxes while the spuds are babies. There is (soon) coming a time where the spuds get some heft. At least one member has already had all the purple majesty potatoes that they would ever want , which is on the poll. That said, if you have a favorite or want all wax or all baker, you have to tell… but you knew that, you are trained professional CSA member.
- Herbs – the default is a baggie of (random) herbs. Fennel is a bit of a special case; not quite a herb, but not really a vegetable. If you want fennel, you will have to ask each week that you want it. There really aren’t that many because well, in the past it wasn’t all that popular.
So. Lots of stuff coming on now; the table at the end of this will be the best guide. There should be a tab that says “ask” for the unusual, like figs. There are a LOT of figs getting ripe.
So – Here’s what is in the box for week 7:
|Greens||Lettuce (Red and/or Green), Green cabbage (ask), White and/or Red Chard;|
|Crunchies||hook neck squash (ask)|
|Herbs||Arugula, Green Onions, Chives, Basil, Cilantro, Fennel (ask), Oregano, mint. If you want ‘lots’ of Oregano that can be done. Your challenge is to figure out what herb is what…|
|Other||Slicer and Cherry Tomatoes, 1-3″ beets with greens, Ugly Walla Walla onions, Raspberries, New Potatoes – various colors. Flower of the week will be snap dragons or roses Any preference?|
- larger – really large number of Tomatoes
- Hook neck summer squash
- Figs, Plums, Dill, Cilantro
- summer squash (Zucchini, Patty Pan)