February. This is a wet, but warmer than usual February thus far. The important things going on for the CSA are all around seed starts and setting out plants. All eight of the greenhouse beds are full and growing for Winter 1 and 2, and seed starts are in the propagation benches for Green 1. More seeds will be started here in the first two weeks of the month.
Here is where we are so far:
- Cabbage and Pac Choi are in beds and growing well.
- Mustard, Kale, and over-wintered onions and carrots are in beds outside.
- Lettuce, Spinach, new carrots, beets, and radishes are in beds inside the greenhouse. The carrots, beets and radish are in a bed with heated soil.
- Peas are up and growing inside the greenhouse.
- Cucumber, Peppers and Eggplant, Basil, Cilantro are in the propagation benches – still not up, they need a couple of weeks.
In the next two weeks our third seed start of Lettuce will go in, as well as Tomatoes, Broccoli and Cauliflower. There are two large bed areas that are higher and potentially warmer and dryer that will be getting set outs in early March – to do that, we need to start them now, Lots of our new plants need about 6 weeks from seeding till they are set out.
In March we will start poking people to let us know about Green season. There are some major efforts underway to broaden the offerings in the green season and in the early weeks of main season. There are an amazingly large number of different lettuces, and some really cool new types of Potatoes. It is always fun to look in the seed catalog for new and different!